Medvedev says he is not Roland-Garros favorite

Tennis – ATP Cup – Sydney Olympic Park, Sydney, Australia – January 8, 2022 Russia’s Daniil Medvedev celebrates his semi-final victory over Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime REUTERS/Asanka Brendon Ratnayake

World number two Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday ruled himself out as a title contender at Roland Garros next week after losing his first match following hernia surgery.

The US Open champion, who had surgery last month, was beaten 6-2, 7-6 (7/5) by French veteran Richard Gasquet in the round of 16 at the Geneva Open.

The Russian said it was difficult to look past Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic as favorites to win the second Grand Slam of the year and said he would work harder to refine his game in the remaining days before Paris.

“I’m not playing my best tennis on clay. I know I’m capable of getting good results, like I’ve done in the past. But for that, I kind of need to be in the area,” Medvedev told reporters. .

“I don’t feel as confident on clay as I do on other surfaces, that’s why I lost 7/5 in the tie-break ending with a double fault. It’s disappointing but I had some toughest defeats in my career.

“Physically, I didn’t feel bad. With more training days, I should be ready for Roland Garros.”

The 26-year-old has reached the quarter-finals of Roland-Garros 2021.


Comments are closed.