Newport City Council will hold their next regular council meeting on May 11, here’s a look at what’s on their docket
Newport City Council will hold its next regular council meeting on Wednesday, May 11 at 6:30 p.m. Here’s a first look at what’s on their file, the agenda with supporting attachments will be posted on the City’s website in the coming days.
CITY OF NEWPORT
DOCKET FOR A REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING
MAY 11, 2022
The following matters, filed with the City Clerk pursuant to council bylaws, will be brought before council at a meeting to be held on May 11, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, City Hall, 43 Broadway, Newport, RI 02840. Meeting viewing and joining is also available via Web Ex: Membership Link:
Webinar ID: 2631 141 8471 Webinar Password: meet (6338 from phones) Join by Phone 1-844-621-3956 US Toll Free
Access code: 263 114 18471
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
CITIZENS’ FORUM: (Speakers must register with the Clerk) The Citizens’ Forum period shall not exceed fifteen minutes and citizens may address Council on a single subject and for a maximum of three minutes . Matters for discussion shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular agenda of Council and shall relate to important business of the town. No comments regarding staff or job performance are permitted.
1. PUBLIC HEARING- 2023 operating budget–
A copy is available on our website: www.cityofnewport.com/budgets
a. Personnel Ordinance (first reading)
b. Revenue Allocation Order (First Reading)
2. CONSENT TIMETABLE (THE CONSENT SCHEDULE IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE BOARD REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES (#31-80 AND #98-40).
a. Special Events:
1. Audrain Automobile Museum, Inc., d/b/a various events and locations throughout the city from May 12, 2022 to October 30, 2022 (list attached)
2. The Wayfinder Hotel, d/b/a Summer Starts Here, The Wayfinder Hotel, May 14, 2022 from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
3. Kate Lentz, d/b/a Author Conference and Reception, Ocher Court; May 22, 2022 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
4. Newport Hospital, d/b/a A Salute To Health – Fundraiser, Marble House; July 6, 2022 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
5. Newport Historical Society, d/b/a French Culinary Adventure Cocktail Reception, Great Friends Meeting House; July 7, 2022 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
6. Newport Historical Society, d/b/a French in Newport Living History Event, Great Friends Meeting House; From July 8 to 10, 2022 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
7. Alliance Française de Newport, d/b/a Celebrating General Rochambeau and the French at Newport, King Park; July 9, 2022 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
8. Sail Newport, d/b/a Newport Regatta, 72 Fort Adams Drive; July 8-10, 2022 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
9. International Tennis Hall of Fame, d/b/a Infosys Hall of Fame Open, International Tennis Hall of Fame; From July 10 to 17, 2022 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
10. Newport HEZ Arts and Culture Workgroup/Tom Perrotti, d/b/a Don Quixote/Summer Theatre; Miantonomi Park; July 11, 2022 from 2:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (rain date – July 18, 2022)
11. Potter League for Animals, d/b/a Yappy Hour, 57 Ledge Road; July 17, 2022 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
12. Island Moving Company, d/b/a Newport Dance Festival, Great Friends Meeting House, 21 Farewell St.; From July 19 to 24, 2022 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
13. The Rec Reunion Association, d/b/a Rec Reunion Family Cookout, Miantonomi Park; August 6, 2022 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
14. Preservation Society of Newport County, d/b/a Coaching Weekend, Newport Mansion and Streets of Newport; From August 18 to 21, 2022 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
15. Sail Newport, d/b/a Sail for Hope, Newport Shipyard, 1 Washington St.; September 10, 2022 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
16. Communication from Bike Newport, regarding rain date for Elliot’s Ride – May 22, 2022
b. Pool Table License, Renewal, El Dee Vending, LLC, 80 Osprey Drive, East Greenwich, RI (1 table)
vs. Mechanical Amusement License Renewal, El Dee Vending, LLC, 80 Osprey Drive, East Greenwich, RI (1 location, 11 machines)
D. Private Investigator License, Renewal, Kevin P. Sullivan, d/b/a KPS Investigations & Constable Services, LLC, 2 Chastellux Ave.
e. Tattoo parlor license, renewal, Peter Fortune, d/b/a Fortune Tattoos, 435 Thames St.
F. 2022 Vacation Sales License, Renewals – List Attached
g. Communication from Mona Barbera, Ph.D., regarding the resignation of the Directing Authority (received with regret)
h. Communication from Peter Rinelli, Ph.D, regarding the resignation of the Cliff Walk Commission (received with regret)
I. Communication from Kathryn Supple, re: Asking the city to participate in National Gun Violence Awareness Day (Approve subject to details being worked out with city government)
J. Communication from Broadway businesses, regarding addendum to outdoor catering proposal (receive and refer to city government for recommendation)
k. Memorandum from the city manager regarding the plan to organize a t-ball and coach court at Miantonomi Park (receive)
LICENSES AND PERMITS
3. Sankofa Community Connection, d/b/a Pre-Juneteenth Celebration/Day of Renewal, Great Friends Meeting House; June 18, 2022 from 3:00 p.m. to 9:45 p.m.
-Special Event License Fee Waiver Request
4. Fueling License, New, Maho Poke, LLC, d/b/a Maho Poke, 186 A Thames St.
5. Fueling License, New, Springline Coffee, LLC, d/b/a Springline Coffee, LLC, 33 Banisters Wharf
6. Sidewalk Café License, New, Mel’s Lunch Inc., d/b/a Mel’s Lunch, 25 Broadway
7. Sidewalk Café, New, Humming Bird, LLC, d/b/a Humming Bird, A Taste of the Caribbean, 104 Broadway
8. Victualing License, Expansion, Picnic, Ltd., d/b/a Picnic Café, 26-28 Bellevue Ave., expanding to 28-32 Bellevue
9. License to Sidewalk Café, Expansion, Picnic, Ltd., d/b/a Picnic Café, 26-28 Bellevue Ave., extending to 28-32 Bellevue Ave.
10. Sidewalk café permits, renewals:
a. Newport Bubble Tea, LLC, d/b/a Empire Tea & Coffee, 22 Broadway
b. ETCGroup, LLC, d/b/a Empire Tea & Coffee, 112 William St.
11. Mobile Food Establishment Truck, (MFET- 2 available), New, Sunset Beach Aquaculture, LLC (Joseph Pinheiro), d/b/a Sunset Beach Aquaculture, 161 Beacon Ave., Jamestown, RI- continued from April 27, 2022
12. Entertainment License, Extension, Class A (Indoor), L & B Associates, LLC, d/b/a Stoneacre Garden, 151 Swinburne Row Sunday through Tuesday 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. from 00:00 a.m. to midnight and Friday and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 01:00 a.m. (Current Restriction – Subject to garage doors being closed during entertainment) (Hearing)
13. 2022 Entertainment License Renewals (list attached)
14. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS (REMARK: Vacancies currently exist or will soon exist on the following Boards and Commissions: Beach Commission, Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission, Henderson Home, Historic District Commission, Energy and Environment Commission)
Cliff Walks Commission (1 vacancy); Denis Zambrotta; Nicole Shevory; Mark Fitzgerald Christopher M. Jones (5-year term expires 1/11/2026)
Affirmative Action Commission (unlimited vacancies): Joan McCarthy (3-year term expires 5/11/2025)
Energy and Environment Commissioner (1 vacant position): Anne Joslin (3-year term expires on 09/04/2023)
Tree and Open Space Commission (1 vacant position): Stephanie Smyth (3-year term expires 03/27/2024)
15. Aging Friendly – L. Ceglie, J. Napolitano, K. Leonard., E. Fuerte
16. Street cafes – J. Bova, C. Holder, E. Fuerte, L. Ceglie, A. McCalla, J. Napolitano
17. Modification of article 17.08.010, entitled, Definitions17.65., titled, “Innovation Center” and 17.66 titled, “Innovation Hub floating overlay area(second reading)
COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
18. Communication from Maureen Cronin, Chair, Charter Review Commission, regarding the Final Report of the 2022 Newport Charter Review Commission
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MUNICIPAL DIRECTOR
19. ACTION #6071/22 – SUBJECT: Lease Agreement – Newport Community School – Gateway Center (with accompanying resolution)
20. ACTION #6072/22 – SUBJECT: Regional School District – Authorization to vote (with accompanying resolution)
ADJOURNMENT AS COUNCIL AND CONVOCATION AS COUNCIL OF COMMISSIONERS OF LICENSES
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
1. Class F-1 daily liquor license, Sail Newport, d/b/a:
a. Newport Regatta, 72 Fort Adams Drive; July 8-10, 2022 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
b. Sail for Hope, 1 Washington St.; September 10, 2022 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
2. Communication from Charles M. Holder, Jr., Operations Manager, Midtown Oyster/Surf Club re: Change of d/b/a from Freaky Burrito to Coffee Grinder at 337 Thames St. Unit 4 licensees)
LICENSES AND PERMITS
3. Sunday Sales License, New Class A Liquor Store, Shiv Wine Corp, d/b/a Thames Wine & Spirits, 580 Thames St. Unit 8
4. Application by New Newport Liquor, LLC, d/b/a Point Wine & Spirits, 3 Thames St., licensee of a Class A liquor license to transfer 50% of Forest Patten’s membership to Richard Willis , assuming 100%. (Hearing)
Adjournment – May 5, 2022