Tokyo Olympics by July 28, 2021
Olympics: Japanese Ohashi achieves double individual medley with gold in 200 medal
Yui Ohashi of Japan won the women’s 200-meter individual medley final in 2 minutes and 8.52 seconds on Wednesday to claim her second gold at the Tokyo Olympics.
Olympics: Honda engines to clinch silver in men’s 200 butterfly
Tomoru Honda swam one last inspired lap to win a silver medal in the men’s 200-meter butterfly at the Tokyo Aquatics Center on Wednesday, setting a personal best in lane eight.
Japan defends Olympic softball crown with victory over United States
Yukiko Ueno pitched the Japanese to the Tokyo Olympics softball championship in a 2-0 victory over their American rivals in Tuesday’s gold medal game.
Russians beat USA in women’s team gymnastics, Japan 5th
The Russian gymnasts won the women’s team event on Tuesday, beating the reigning two-time champions of the United States who competed for most of the event without superstar Simone Biles due to a “medical problem”, while as Japan finished fifth.
Tokyo Olympics see 16 more COVID-19 cases, bringing total to 169
Sixteen other people associated with the Tokyo Olympics have tested positive for COVID-19, but none is an athlete, bringing the total so far this month to 169, organizers of the games said on Wednesday.
MORE HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES
american gymnastics star Simone Biles withdrew from the women’s team final at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday due to a “medical problem,” USA Gymnastics said.
- Judoka Takanori Nagase defeated Mongolian Saeid Mollaei in men’s 81 kilogram final Tuesday snatching the gold medal for Japan at the Tokyo Olympics.
- Tomokazu Harimoto became the last Japanese medal contender to collapse of the Tokyo Games on Tuesday when the 18-year-old world No.4 was knocked out in the round of 16 of the men’s singles table tennis competition.
- Gold medal favorite Naomi Osaka eliminated from women’s singles tennis at Tokyo Games Czech Marketa Vondrousova tournament on Tuesday, ending the Olympics of the Japanese world No. 2.
- Japan won a place for the women’s football quarter-finals of the Tokyo Olympics Tuesday after substitute Mina Tanaka struck late to give Asako Takakura’s side a 1-0 victory over Chile.
- Kanoa Igarashi missed his chance to win the first gold medal in surfing in Olympic history on Tuesday, but he walked away with the silver after being beaten by powerful Brazilian Italo Ferreira in a men’s final that advanced due to an approaching typhoon.
- Japan’s Mikiko Andoh won her first Olympic medal by winning the 59kg women weightlifting bronze medal at the Tokyo Games on Tuesday.
Seven more people linked to the Tokyo Olympics have tested positive for COVID-19, including two overseas athletes, bringing the total since the start of this month to 155, organizers of the games said on Tuesday.
- Host Japan withdrew from men’s rugby sevens medal race at Tokyo Olympics after receiving a 36-12 group stage at the hands of Canada on Tuesday morning.
- Japanese seeds Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota suffered their first women’s badminton doubles loss at the Tokyo Games on Tuesday, losing 2-1 to Indonesia’s Greysia Polii and Apriyani Rahayu in their final group stage match.
- Flora Duffy won first-ever Olympic gold for Bermuda by winning a typhoon-hit women’s triathlon event at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday morning.
- A time of crisis Maki Takada three-point game and a key rider Moeko Nagaoka from the depths gave Japan a victory in the first match of the women’s basketball competition at the Tokyo Olympics On Tuesday, the hosts beat France 74-70 in a thriller.
GAMES IN PHOTOS
Japan’s Yui Ohashi reacts after winning the women’s 200-meter individual medley event at the Tokyo Olympics on July 28, 2021 at the Tokyo Aquatic Center. (Kyodo) (SELECTION) == Kyodo
Chen Yuxi and Zhang Jiaqi of China perform on their way to winning gold in the women’s 10-meter synchronized platform diving at the Tokyo Olympics at the Tokyo Aquatic Center in the capital on July 27, 2021. (Kyodo) == Kyodo
Brazil’s Italo Ferreira competes in the men’s surf gold medal match at the Tokyo Olympics on July 27, 2021 at Tsurigasaki Surf Beach in Ichinomiya, Chiba Prefecture, eastern Japan. (Kyodo) == Kyodo
Triathletes compete in the bike stage of the women’s individual triathlon at the Tokyo Olympics on July 27, 2021. (Kyodo) == Kyodo